Current State-of-Art: Diagnosis of psychological health and the prediction of negative events, such as suicide, or their ideation are limited by:
- A lack of broad societal attention to problem & result of clearly defined signals for interventions.
- A lack of real-time, near real-time reaction capability to large volumes of data.
The Need: Broader coverage of suicide risk detection and better understanding of the expression of suicide ideation through data mining of text and images
Proposed Solution: Continuous monitoring of social network user behavioral intent enabling intervention, facilitated by social/online data sources. Specifically, we are building a Proof of Concept ‘Psychological dashboard’ application demo utilizing;
- Social networks based data (Facebook, Twitter, Google+)
- Suicide and Suicide attempts data from the US Veterans Administration
- Smart phone incorporated authentication
- Empirically validated statistical applications
- Data Repository that supports ‘big data’
… resulting in a Real time Behavioral Risk Detection capability… available Spring 2013.